Thursday, January 17, 2008

Welcome to my new blog

Hi, my name is Hal Hamer and my background includes 30+ years programming experience, mostly in various forms of RPG (RPG II, RPG/III, RPG/IV, and ILE RPG) on midrange IBM systems (S/34, S/36, AS/400, iSeries). A week ago I started a new career track, working as a programmer at Tuppas Software. Last week was spent in training on how to use their neat framework (which sits on top of ASP.NET).

Tuppas Software makes highly configurable manufacturing software and manufacturing execution systems (MES) for the shop floor. They also provide ERP class software for manufacturing enterprise management. Their industrial software is browser-based, using thin-client .NET technology which makes management of MRP, MES and ERP functions easy and quick, even across a large enterprise.

This week, in just the few days that I've been here, I've already helped with setting up systems for:
  • Stone Interiors, a custom counter top company in Alabama, Louisiana, and South Carolina that fabricates granite, marble and other natural stone for counter tops, fireplaces and custom specialty projects.;
  • The Bellevue Manufacturing Company, an Ohio manufacturer that creates and distributes oil filters for the automotive industry;
  • Schneider Electric, a recognized world leader in Electrical Distribution and Automation & Control, operating in 190 countries and headquartered in France, with US Headquarters in Illinois.

While the items above were jobs that Tuppas Software has been working on for a few weeks, next week I'll be traveling to Cleveland, Oh to meet with a new customer to do a demo of our system and to define what they need in their new system. It'll be interesting to see the progression from start to finish, and I'll keep you updated about this project as it progresses, as well as all of the other jobs I'll be assigned to.

Thanks for coming to my blog, and I hope that you'll find it interesting and want to come back often. Bye for now.

No comments: