Friday, January 18, 2008

Day 2

Hello, it's me again, Hal Hamer, back for another day of programming at Tuppas Software. Today I've worked some more on the Stone Interiors and Bellevue projects. For Stone Interiors, we're using ASP.NET to turn a Sales Quote into a Purchase Order, and then to print that Purchase Order. My ASP.NET skills aren't that great, so it's a wonderful opportunity for me to improve them!

I know HTML/XHTML/CSS, etc. so that's not a problem. And I know VB.NET so VBScript isn't a problem either. It's just using ASP.NET to combine HTML and VB that I'm a little shaky on. I don't know all of ASP.NET's methods and config variables, and more importantly how, and when, to use those variables.

I also did some minor changes to the DataBases for Bellevue. They needed a way to identify which Blanks and Coils went together so there needed to be a Blank/Coils xRef table. So I added that table, and the necessary columns to other associated tables. And then using our custom framework I added the tabs on the Blanks screen to show a screen with a list of the Coils. From that Coils screen, the user can easily add or delete a coil. This work took a very short amount of time. The Tuppas framework is set up in such a way that I, as the programmer, don't have to create the "Add" or "Delete" buttons, nor actually do the DB processing. As surprising as that sounds, all I have to do is to create a screen with the necessary fields, and then link that screen to its parent. It's sorta like a Bound Control in VB, but it doesn't take nearly as much effort or time. The framework takes care of the DataBase processing for me!

The only two areas that slow me down are not knowing exactly how the Framework works (since I've only been using it for a week) and handling errors when I do something incorrectly. (The errors show up with ASP's cryptic error messages, and there's nothing I can do about how they show up!) But once I learn all of the features of the Framework I'll be even more productive since I won't have to correct nearly as many of my Framework mistakes, nor have to spend a lot of time trying to decipher ASP's error messages.

As you can tell, I'm having a great time here at Tuppas. (And for those of you who are wondering why I'm writing this instead of doing more programming, this blog is actually part of my job!)

Hope you all have a great weekend.
More next week. Til then,

Hal Hamer

No comments: